Bridge

Records tagged with Type of Memorial: Bridge

Tibbie's brig

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

Ca then where the burnie rowes
1995
Tibbie's brig
This brig was rebuilt by
Muirkirk Community Council
With voluntary labour and
opened by David Docherty

Date: 
1793 and restored 1995
Material: 
Stone
Location:
Tibbie's brig
Near Muirkirk , KA18 3ND
Additional information: 

The bridge crosses the Garpel Water. Tibbie Pagan's Inn was located near here.

Maggie Osborne Bridge/Witches Bridge near South Balloch, Ayrshire

Dedicated to: 
Designed by: 
Died 12 October 1629
Material: 
stone
Location:
On the Newton Stewart Road south of Straiton where it crosses the Water of Minnoch
south east of South Balloch, north of Bargrennan
Images: 
Maggie Osborne's Bridge/Witches Bridge
Maggie Osborne's Bridge/Witches Bridge

Queen Victoria Bridge

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

None

Erected by: 
Aberdeen Council
Date: 
It was opened in May 1881
Location:
Queen Victoria Bridge
It connects Market Street and Victoria Road.
Aberdeen, AB11 5QF
Additional information: 

This bridge was built as a consequence of the Torry Ferryboat Disaster of 5 April 1876, in which 32 people drowned when an overladen ferryboat capsized and sank while crossing the Dee from Aberdeen to Torry.

Queen Elizabeth II Bridge

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

None

Erected by: 
Aberdeen City Council
Date: 
It was opened in 1984.
Material: 
Concrete, with granite facings.
Location:
It links South Esplanade West and North Esplanade West
A956, Torry
Aberdeen , AB11 9AA

Devorgilla Bridge at Dumfries

Dedicated to: 
Date: 
various dates from 13th Century to early 17th Century (latter probably current bridge) - various bridges have washed away or been demolished since first erected
Material: 
red stone
Location:
Dumfries Town Centre across the River Nith beside 'The Caul' Weir, beside Old Bridge House (now a museum)
Dumfries
Images: 
Devorgilla Bridge, Dumfries

Hannah's Brig

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

No Inscription

Erected by: 
The Laird of Langton wanted the bridge to be erected
Designed by: 
Not known
Date: 
Not known
Material: 
Stone
Location:
Between Gavinton and Langton Mill Farm following the Verter
Gavinton, TD11
Additional information: 

The laird of Langton thought it would be a good idea to reroute the main road so that the traffic could no longer pass by the gates of his estate. He proposed that the road from Duns should turn south at Pouterlynia and connect with the highway which enters the village from the east. Langton Burn was the main obstacle and a bridge was built to cross it.

The scheme was never completed. The bridge was severely damaged in a storm and the swollen water of the burn carried away the fallen stones including the keystone. The scheme was then abandoned.

Who is Hannah? One of the sisters of Lady Betty Gavin, wife of the Laird, married the 7th Marquis of Tweeddale. The marquis and his wife died suddenly, leaving twelve children. Lady Betty took charge of one of her nieces, Hannah, who later married a Mr Tharpe. She returned to the care of her aunt in less than a year due to the insanity of her husband.

Lady Hannah took care of her aunt when she became old and afterwards looked after her daughter, who later became Lady Mary, Marchioness of Bredalbane. She remained at Langton after the death of the Marchioness, in 1845, until the start of the construction of the large mansion in 1862. She died in Edinburgh in 1877 at the age of 84, having outlived all her family.

Syndicate content