Elizabeth Edington

Dates: 
1831 - 4th November, 1908

Elizabeth was born in 1831. With her brother Francis Edington (1819-1901), she owned the Commercial Hotel ( now the County Hotel) at 15-17 High Street, North Berwick, East Lothian. Their parents were Alexander Edington, a slater, and Margaret Burnet.

Francis was Treasurer of the Royal Burgh of North Berwick Town Council and founder member of Bass Rock Golf Club. He died 24th August 1901 at their home at Ethandune, 7 Dirleton Avenue, North Berwick.

Elizabeth remained unmarried and died on 4th November, 1908 at Ethandune. She was buried with her brother in the St Andrews Kirk graveyard in Kirk Ports.

Elizabeth bequeathed £10,000, in the names of herself and her brother, for the building and maintainenance of a Convalescent Home to be called The Edington Convalescent Home. It had to include provision for an accident ward and one solely for the inhabitants of the town, for sickness which was both non-infectious and curable. The home was formally opened in October 1913 by Miss Eliza F. Webster, a niece of Miss Edington.

It was often used for respite for mothers who had large families, often 10 or more and was known locally as 'The Home For Tired Mothers'.

There are portraits of Elizabeth and Francis in the foyer of the hospital.

Sources
Royal Burgh of North Berwick
Story of the Royal Burgh of North Berwick
EDINGTON, ELIZABETH (Statutory Deaths 713/00 0029)
Death Record

Scotlands People