Anna Ritchie

Other names: 
Anna was short for Annabella. Her maiden name was Park, and her first married name was Smith.
Dates: 
1884- 11 Dec 1971.

Annabella Park was born in 1884, the daughter of William Park, Farmer, and Elizabeth Barron.

She was educated at New Pitsligo, Aberdeenshire. She graduated from Edinburgh University and then trained as a teacher at Dalry House, the Episcopalian teacher training college.

She married Tom Smith, a headmaster, but he died young.

In 1931 she returned home to care for her elderly widowed mother.

She married local doctor, James Ritchie, a widower on 26th December 1934. He died the following morning.

Anna Ritchie was interested in the education of children with special needs and campaigned to have a school opened for them. When it was opened, in 1963, it was named in her honour.

She was a deaconess at St Drostan's, Old Deer.

She was awarded the MBE in 1958.

She died on 11th December 1971.

There is a photograph of her in St Drostan's Church.

Sources
Marriage certificate 1934 168/02/ 0720
Death certificate of second husband 1934 228/ 0A 0029
Aberdeenshire Council - details of Anna Ritchie School.