Statue

Records tagged with Type of Memorial: Statue

Brass statue of Flora MacDonald, Inverness Castle

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

FLORA MACDONALD

FHAD’S A DH’FHASAS
FLUR AIR MACHAIR
MAIRIDH CLIU MA
H-AINNIR CHAOIMH.
“THE PRESERVER OF PRINCE CHARLES
EDWARD STUART WILL BE MENTIONED
IN HISTORY. AND IF COURAGE AND
FIDELITY BE VIRTUES, MENTIONED
WITH HONOUR”
JOHNSON

Erected by: 
Captain Henderson Macdonald bequeathed £1000 towards the cost of the monument.
Designed by: 
Andrew Davidson, a sculptor from Inverness
Date: 
1990s
Material: 
Brass
Location:
Inverness Castle courtyard
Castle Street
Inverness, IV2 3DU
Images: 
Monument to Flora MacDonald at Inverness Castle
Monument to Flora MacDonald at Inverness Castle
Monument to Flora MacDonald at Inverness Castle
Monument to Flora MacDonald at Inverness Castle
Additional information: 

The statue depicts Flora MacDonald looking out over the valley and shielding her eyes, with a Scottish hound at her feet.

Memorial to the work of the Women's Land Army Scotland

Dedicated to: 
Erected by: 
Land Army Memorial Scotland (LAMS) Charitable Trust with donations raised by the National Farmers Union of Scotland and National Museums of Scotland
Designed by: 
Peter Naylor
Date: 
Unveiled by Prince Charles 9th October, 2012
Material: 
Metal
Location:
Crown Estate land on the hillside at Clochan
Fochabers

Statue of Minnie the Minx

Dedicated to: 
Erected by: 
The Dundee Partnership
Designed by: 
Tony and Susie Morrow
Date: 
2001
Material: 
Bronze
Location:
City Square
City Square
Dundee, DD1
Images: 
Statue of Minnie the Minx
Additional information: 

No inscription; everybody recognises Minnie the Minx!

Nairn fishwife

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

"Nairn Fishwife"
In Nairn, when the fishing industry was at its height in the late 19th century, the fishwife played a very important role within the community. As well as being responsible for caring for house and family, she also gathered bait, baited lines, gathered durkins (pine cones for smoking fish) prepared and smoked fish, including the famous "Nairn Spelding" then sold them throughout the local area from the creel on her back.

Please visit Nairn museum for further information.

Statue erected as part of Highland Year of Culture 2007.

Erected by: 
It was erected as part of the Highland Year of Culture 2007.
Designed by: 
The sculptors were Ginny Hutchison and Charles Engebretson.
Date: 
2007
Material: 
Bronze
Location:
Nairn harbour
Harbour Street
Nairn
Images: 
Statue of Nairn fishwife
Statue of Nairn fishwife
Statue of Nairn fishwife
Additional information: 

The statue is based on an actual fishwife, Annie Ralph, one of the last of the Nairn fishwives. It was unveiled by Janet Urquhart, Annie Ralph's great niece.

Statue to Queen Victoria

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

VICTORIA
QUEEN
1837-1901
EMPRESS OF INDIA
1877-1901
ERECTED
1907

Erected by: 
unveiled by Lord Rosebery on12th October 1907
Designed by: 
John Stevenson Rhind (Scottish, 1859 - 1937)
Date: 
1907
Material: 
sandstone pedestal, bronze statue
Location:
Foot of Leith Walk in front of the New Kirkgate Shopping Centre
Corner of Constitution and Great Junction Streets
Edinburgh
Images: 
Statue of Queen Victoria, Leith, Edinburgh
Statue of Queen Victoria, Leith, Edinburgh
Statue of Queen Victoria, Leith, Edinburgh
Statue of Queen Victoria, Leith, Edinburgh
Statue of Queen Victoria, Leith, Edinburgh
Additional information: 

The Queen Victoria Statue stands at the foot of Leith Walk in what is now the entrance to the New Kirkgate Shopping Centre. Sculpted by John Rhind and unveiled by Lord Roseberry who was the Liberal Prime Minister 1894-5 and was watched by a crowd of over 20,000 people.

The Statue was to mark the reign of Queen Victoria who had died in 1901 and to commemorate her visit to Leith in 1842. It is also a War memorial to the memory of the Scots Guards from the area who had died in the Boar War.

The memorial was subsequently moved and again in 1985 and 2003 for restoration and cleaning and to accommodate modern traffic. In 1985 a glass casket was discovered containing Leith Newspapers of 1907 along with coins and other memorabilia. This was replaced again along with a 1985 “Edinburgh Evening News”, a set of mint Coins and a tape from the BBC explaining about the redevelopments in Leith (http://www.leithhistory.co.uk/2004/04/02/the-queen-victoria-statue/)

This pedestrian bronze statue of Queen Victoria has commemorative plaques round the plinth; it was built by the 'Leith Queen Victoria Statue Fund'.

The statue was unveiled by Lord Rosebery on the 12th October 1907, and custody was accepted by Bailie Smith on behalf of the Council.The site was given and the foundation stone paid for by the Leith Town Council out of the Common Good Fund.

John S. Rhind (dates) was the sculptor and was also responsible for the bronze bas-relief panels. The bronze plaque on the south face reads:
"QUEEN VICTORIA 1837-1901 EMPRESS OF INDIA 1877-1901 ERECTED 1907".
A panel on the East side depicts a military scene, commemorates the part played by the Leith Volunteers (5th Battalion Royal Scots) in the Boer War (1900-1902).
"5th VOLUNTEER BATTALION THE ROYAL SCOTS SOUTH AFRICA 1900-1902. A MEMORIAL TO PATRIOTISM AND LOYALTY "
and "JOHN S. RHIND, Sc."
A further panel was added in 1913 to the West side, depicts
"QUEEN VICTORIA ENTERING LEITH SEPT. 3 1842" " JOHN S. RHIND Sc. 1912." (http://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/Venues/Monuments/Queen-Victoria)

Statue of Queen Victoria

Dedicated to: 
Designed by: 
Sir John Steell
Date: 
unveiled 1844
Material: 
sandstone from Binny Quarry
Location:
Royal Scottish Academy (called Edinburgh's Royal Institution until 1911)
77a Princes Street
Edinburgh, EH2 2EL
Images: 
Queen Victoria, Royal Scottish Academy

Statue of the young Queen Victoria

Dedicated to: 
Designed by: 
probably William Brodie, father-in-law of James Gowan, the Architect (looks like allegorical figures in Princes Street Gardens)
Date: 
built 1866-70
Material: 
stone
Location:
on top of the corner of the Queen's Nursing Institute (Scotland) building, facing the castle
31 Castle Terrace
Edinburgh, EH1 2EL
Images: 
Statue of Queen Victoria at the Queen's Nursing Institute Scotland Building, Castle Terrace, Edinburgh

Statue of Queen Victoria

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

VICTORIA R
1897
DIAMOND JUBILEE

Designed by: 
Harry Bates, sculptor
Date: 
1899
Location:
Beside the McManus Galleries, Albert Square, Dundee.
Albert Square, Panmure Street
Dundee, DD1 1HU
Images: 
Statue of Queen Victoria
Statue of Queen Victoria

Small statue of a parakeet and garden trug on a plinth

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

IN MEMORY OF SUSANNAH ALICE STEPHEN
KEEP YOUR FACE TOWARDS THE SUN
& THE SHADOWS WILL FALL BEHIND YOU
1960-1997

Designed by: 
Frances Pelly
Date: 
September 2000
Material: 
stone and bronze
Location:
St James's Court, off north side of Lawnmarket, Royal Mile in the middle of the courtyard
St James's Court, Lawnmarket
Edinburgh, EH1 2PB
Images: 
Statue of Parakeet and Garden Trug on plinth in memory of Susannah Alice Stephen
Statue of Parakeet and Garden Trug on plinth in memory of Susannah Alice Stephen
Statue of Parakeet and Garden Trug on plinth in memory of Susannah Alice Stephen
Statue of Parakeet and Garden Trug on plinth in memory of Susannah Alice Stephen
Statue of Parakeet and Garden Trug on plinth in memory of Susannah Alice Stephen
Statue of Parakeet and Garden Trug on plinth in memory of Susannah Alice Stephen
Additional information: 

'Zannah Stephen loved the closes off the Royal Mile. The site in James Court was appropriate for two reasons: as a landscape architect, she knew that Patrick Geddes, a great town planner and creator of garden spaces, had lived there; the court is overlooked by the room in the Free Church of Scotland building (to the north) containing an etched portrait of her ancestor Alexander Moncrieff of Culfargie, one of the four brethren of the first major secession in the Church of Scotland in 1733. The room also contains the carved wooden chair in which Moncrieff prayed through the night before the signing of the historical document'. (http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/event/613802/)

Far Abune the Angus Straths

Dedicated to: 
Designed by: 
David A Annand
Date: 
1998
Material: 
Aluminium resin
Location:
Medicine Well Drive
Medicine Well Drive
Montrose, DD10
Images: 
One of three pieces of art commemorating Violet Jacob.
One of three pieces of art commemorating Violet Jacob.
Additional information: 

"Far Abune the Angus Straths" is one of three pieces commemorating Violet Jacob. It depicts pink-foot geese in flight.

Syndicate content