Plaque

Records tagged with Type of Memorial: Plaque

Plaque to Ella Pirrie

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND
IN GRATEFUL AND LOVING MEMORY OF
ELLA PIRRIE, DEACONESS
WHO RENDERED VALUABLE AID
IN THE EQUIPMENT OF THE
DEACONESS HOSPITAL
OF WHICH SHE WAS THE FIRST MATRON
FROM 1894 TO 1914
SHE WAS THE SUPERINTENDANT OF THE
DEACONESS REST HOUSE,
EDINBURGH
FROM 1916 TO 1923
ENTERED INTO REST 30TH OCTOBER 1929
"A SUCCOURER OF MANY"
ERECTED BY
HER FELLOW WORKERS AND OTHER FRIENDS

Erected by: 
fellow workers and other friends
Material: 
Metal
Location:
Former Kirk o' Field, now the Greyfriars' Charteris Sanctuary
138-140 The Pleasance
Edinburgh, MLN, EH8 9RR
Images: 
Plaque to Ella Pirrie at former Kirk o' Field, now Greyfriars' Charteris Centre

Plaque to Alice Maud Maxwell

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF
ALICE MAUD MAXWELL
DEACONESS OF THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND
DAUGHTER OF SIR WILLIAM MAXWELL BART.,
OF CARDONESS.
DIED 5TH FEBRUARY 1915
AS SUPERINTENDENT OF THE DEACONESS HOUSE FROM 1888 - 1912
SHE LABOURED IN THE PLEASANCE DISTRICT WITH UNWEARIED ZEAL
AND DEVOTION AND WAS ONE OF THOSE WHO THROUGH WHOSE EFFORTS
THE ST. NINIAN'S MISSION BUILDINGS. THE DEACONESS HOSPITAL
AND THE CHARTERIS MEMORIAL CHURCH WERE ERECTED.
SHE TOOK A LEADING PART IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF WOMEN'S
WORK IN THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, AND IN THE RESTORATION
OF THE ORDER OF DEACONESSES.

HER SAINTLY AND HER DEVOTED LABOURS ARE
HELD IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE.

ERECTED BY SISTER DEACONESSES, FRIENDS AND MEMBERS
OF THE ORIGINAL ST NINIAN'S CONGREGATION

Erected by: 
Sister Deaconesses, friends and members of the original St Ninian's congregation.
Material: 
Metal
Location:
Former Kirk o' Field, now the Greyfriars' Charteris Sanctuary
138-140 The Pleasance
Edinburgh, MLN, EH8 9RR
Images: 
Plaque to Alice Maud Maxwell at former Kirk o' Field, now Greyfriars' Charteris Centre

Plaque to Janet Harper Willis

Inscription: 

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
"JESSIE" JANET HARPER WILLIS
BORN DECEMBER 25 1871
ENTERED INTO REST OCTOBER 31 1926
FOR MANY YEARS A FAITHFUL
AND DEVOTED MEMBER OF THIS
CONGREGATION

Erected by: 
The congregation
Material: 
Metal
Location:
St Mark's Scottish Episcopal Church
287 Portobello High Street
Edinburgh, MLN, EH15 2AR
Images: 
Plaque to (Jessie) Janet Harper Willis at St Mark's Church, Portobello

Plaque to Jean Thomson Harris

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

This cemetary is the last resting place of
JEAN THOMSON HARRIS
1881 - 1963
Beloved Wife of the
FOUNDER OF ROTARY INTERNATIONAL
Paul P. Harris

Erected by Rotary Club of Braids 7 June 1997

Erected by: 
Rotary Club of Braids
Date: 
7 June 1997
Material: 
Metal
Location:
Newington Cemetery
222B Dalkeith Road
Edinburgh, MLN, EH16 5DT
Images: 
Plaque to Jean Thomson Harris at Newington Cemetery, Edinburgh
Plaque to Jean Thomson Harris at Newington Cemetery, Edinburgh
Plaque to Jean Thomson Harris at Newington Cemetery, Edinburgh
Plaque to Jean Thomson Harris at Newington Cemetery, Edinburgh
Plaque to Jean Thomson Harris at Newington Cemetery, Edinburgh
Plaque to Jean Thomson Harris at Newington Cemetery, Edinburgh

Plaque to William Wood and Margaret Parker Chalmers

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY FATHER
WILLIAM WOOD CA EDINBURGH
BORN 21ST MARCH 1812 DIED 15TH DECEMBER 1892
SON OF JOHN PHILIP WOOD AND HIS WIFE MARION CADELL
ALSO OF MY MOTHER MARGARET PARKET CHALMERS
BORN 3RD AUGUST 1823 DIED 21ST MAY 1902
WIFE OF WILLAM WOOD AND DAUGHTER
OF THE REV THOMAS CHALMERS DD
ERECTED BY GRACE CHALMERS WOOD

Erected by: 
Grace Chalmers Wood
Material: 
brass
Location:
Chalmers Memorial Kirk
Gosford Road
Port Seton, ELN, EH32 0HG
Images: 
Plaque to William Wood and Margaret Parker Chalmers

Plaque to Wendy Wood at Old Calton Cemetary

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

WENDY WOOD
PATRIOT
1892 - 1981

Location:
beside the North Wall of Old Calton Cemetary
Regent Road
Edinburgh, MLN

Plaque to Mary Erskine at Erskine House, 68-73 Queen Street Edinburgh

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

TO COMMEMORATE
THE MARY ERSKINE SCHOOL
WHICH STOOD ON THIS SITE
FROM 1871 - 1966
PRESENTED BY THE FORMER PUPILS' GUILD
TO CELEBRATE THEIR
125TH ANNIVERSARY - JUNE 2009

Erected by: 
Mary Erskine's Former Pupils' Guild
Date: 
June 2009
Location:
on the wall at Erskine House (soon to be an aparthotel)
68-73 Queen Street
Edinburgh, MLN, EH2 4NN
Images: 
Plaque to Mary Erskine at Erskine House, 68-73 Queen Street Edinburgh
Additional information: 

This vacant office block is being converted into an aparthotel (2016). The Guild talk about another plaque, erected 1975, which had been placed inside the building and was missing in 2009 when this plaque was put up (will follow up when aparthotel is complete - it is a building site at present).

Plaque to Sir William MacTaggart and Fanny Aavatsmark

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

SIR WILLIAM MacTAGGART
1903 - 1981 - PAINTER - lived here
and his wife FANNY AAVATSMARK
Norwegian Patriot and Journalist

Location:
4 Drummond Place
Edinburgh, MLN, EH3 6PH
Images: 
Plaque to Sir William MacTaggart and Fanny Aavatsmark at 4 Drummond Place Edinburgh
Plaque to Sir William MacTaggart and Fanny Aavatsmark at 4 Drummond Place Edinburgh

Plaque to Elizabeth Meta Wiskemann at George Square Edinburgh

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

THE UNIVERSITY
of EDINBURGH
IN HONOUR OF
ELIZABETH
WISKEMANN
1901-1971
HISTORIAN AND FIRST WOMAN TO HOLD A
CHAIR AT THE UNIVERSITY
MONTAGUE BURTON PROFESSOR OF
INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
(1958-1961)

Erected by: 
University of Edinburgh
Location:
George Square
Edinburgh, MLN

Plaque to Mary of Guise of Lorraine

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

MARY OF LORRAINE, QUEEN OF JAMES V.
MOTHER OF MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS AND
REGENT OF SCOTLAND FROM 1554-1560
DIED HERE 11TH. JUNE 1560. "A LADY OF
HONOURABLE CONDITIONS, OF SINGULAR
JUDGMENT, FULL OF HUMANITY, A GREAT
LOVER OF JUSTICE, HELPFUL TO THE POOR"

Date: 
1911
Material: 
stone
Location:
Edinburgh Castle
Edinburgh, MLN
Images: 
Plaque to Mary of Lorraine at Edinburgh Castle
Syndicate content