Plaque

Records tagged with Type of Memorial: Plaque

Plaque to Agnes Craig McElhose

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

NEAR THIS SPOT
RESIDED
“CLARINDA”
1787 FRIEND 1791
OF ROBERT BURNS
1937 ERECTED BY CLARINDA BURNS CLUB

Erected by: 
Clarinda Burns Club
Date: 
1937
Material: 
Bronze
Location:
On side of building
Potterrow
Edinburgh, EH8 9AL
Additional information: 

Plaque removed, possibly in the 1960s by Edinburgh University when developing the site. It was found again at Lady Stair's House (the Writer's Museum) and re-erected in 1993 by the Clarinda Burns Club.

Plaque to Ishbel Gordon

Material: 
Wood
Location:
Methlick Parish Church
Methlick, ABD, AB41 7DS
Images: 
Plaque in Methlick Parish church

Plaque to Margaret Manson Graham

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

Margaret Manson Graham
Nurse and Missionary : Rescuer of children abandoned to die: Devoted her life to Christian Work in Nigeria
Born Orphir 1860 + Died Arochuku 1933

Date: 
1964
Material: 
Bronze
Location:
St Magnus Cathedral, Kirkwall, Orkney.
Broad Street
Kirkwall, KW15 1NX
Images: 
Plaque to Margaret Manson Graham
Plaque to Margaret Manson Graham

Plaque on site of Flora MacDonald's school

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

Old Stamp Office Close
..............
..............
Flora MacDonald attended school here.

Material: 
Bronze
Location:
Old Stamp Office Close
221 High Street, Royal Mile
Edinburgh , EH1 1PX
Images: 
Plaque mentioning inter alia Flora MacDonald
Plaque mentioning inter alia Flora MacDonald

Memorial plaque

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

‘Sacred to the memory of her Royal highness the late Princess Charlotte Augusta, Daughter of his Royal highness the Prince Regent, Consort of his Serene highness Prince Leopold of Saxe Coburg and heiress of the British Crown, being just delivered of a still born son, Died on the 6th November 1817 aged 22 years, much lamented by all the Nation, who hoped to have been blessed in her Succession…
‘But death's strong hand struck such a blow
as like has laid their bodies low.
which stroke cost many mournful sighs,
But their souls are happy 'bove the skies
So therefore now our grief must cease
God will in time supply their place.’

Erected by: 
Interbild
Date: 
1986
Material: 
Metal
Location:
Corner of Dundee Road and Victoria Road, Broughty Ferry
Images: 
Photograph of the memorial plaque to Princess Charlotte Augusta
Additional information: 

This metal plaque dates back only as far as 1986. In 1901, when the house that stood in these grounds was called Viewfield, the owner Mr Oglivie demolished a small cottage in the grounds and discovered a headstone-shaped stone, bearing the inscription above, hidden within the cottage. The stone was of local sandstone, possibly from the nearby quarries at Carmyllie or Denfind. Viewfield was renamed Burnbank House in the 1920s but demolished in 1986. By this time, the memorial stone was considered beyond preservation, but the local builder who developed the new residential properties in the grounds placed a metal replica in the boundary wall.

Local legend has it that Charlotte and her husband had travelled to his homeland, against the wishes of the Prince Regent and Parliament, to take advantage of better medical facilities there. Their ship was blown off course in a storm, and the couple were forced to take refuge in the Tay Estuary. Charlotte went into labour and subsequently gave birth in a small cottage at West Ferry, where she and the baby died. The locals were sworn to secrecy and the bodies were both taken back to London before the official announcement was made.

However, the circumstances of Princess Charlotte’s death shortly after midnight on November 6th, 1817, at Claremont House, Surrey, are well documented.

Despite the outpouring of grief at her death, there seem to be remarkably few memorials to Princess Charlotte in the United Kingdom. Notable exceptions are her magnificent monument in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, and the recently restored obelisk at Red House Park, West Bromwich.

The origin of the original Broughty Ferry memorial remains a mystery. The shape of the memorial stone, similar to local gravestones, could indicate that the stone was intended to stand outside, perhaps even in a cemetery. A local resident, a Bletchley Park veteran, also proposed that there was a hidden clue encoded in the wording of the verse included in the inscription, suggesting some significance in the use of 'place' rather than 'peace'.

War memorial which includes the name of Helen Milne.

Dedicated to: 
Location:
St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh
Royal Mile
Edinburgh, EH1 1RE
Images: 
Photograph of section of memorial showing Helen Milne's name

War memorial which includes Margaret B. Marnoch

Dedicated to: 
Location:
St Giles Cathedral
Royal Mile
Edinburgh, EH1 1RE
Images: 
The name Margaret B Marnoch on the SWH memorial
Additional information: 

This is one name amongst many.

Memorial tablet to Elizabeth Blackadder

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

The Edinburgh Award
Elizabeth Blackadder
2012

Erected by: 
The City of Edinburgh Council
Date: 
2012
Material: 
stone
Location:
On the ground on the North side of The Quadrangle, Edinburgh City Chambers
253 High Street
Edinburgh, EH1 1YJ
Images: 
Plaque on ground at Edinburgh City Chambers to Elizabeth Blackadder
Plaque on ground at Edinburgh City Chambers to Elizabeth Blackadder

Mary Barbour Conference Suite

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

Text on plaque inside the Mary Barbour Suite:
Mary Barbour
22 February 1875 - 2 April 1958
This conference suite is dedicated to the memory of one of Govan's great
working class heroes Mary Barbour. This remarkable woman challenged
oppression and poverty in both Govan and Glasgow during the First World War
by saying “NO” to unjustified and extortionate rent increases inflicted upon local
people by wealthy landlords. She organised the city wide Rent Strikes of 1915 and
supported by her “Mrs Barbour’s Women’s Army” of demonstrators forced the
Government to introduce the Rent Restriction Act of 1915. A true Red Clydesider
Mary Barbour was the first woman Labour Councillor elected to the Glasgow
Town Council in 1920 and became the first woman Baillie of the City in 1924.
Opened 17th April 2009 by Councillor John Flanagan

Erected by: 
Glasgow City Council
Date: 
17th April 2009
Location:
Pearce Institute
840-860 Govan Road, Govan
Glasgow, G51 3UU
Images: 
Mary Barbour
Mary Barbour
Mary Barbour

Plaque to Christian Fyfe

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

THIS MEMORIAL RECALLS THE MEN AND WOMEN, NOBLES AND PLAIN FOLK, MINISTERS, SOLDIERS AND OTHERS, WHO WERE EXECUTED BETWEEN 1661 AND 1688 FOR THEIR ADHERENCE TO THE REFORMED RELIGION AND TO THE COVENANTS...

7 April 1682 Christian Fyfe of Fife

Erected by: 
Scottish Covenanter Memorials Association and The Scottish Reformation Society
Date: 
1988
Material: 
metal
Location:
Beside the Covenanters' Memorial, East end of Grassmarket
Edinburgh, MLN
Images: 
Plaque naming Martyrs and Covenanters who were hanged in Edinburgh between 1661 and 1688
Syndicate content