Recently added records

Mary Campbell Henderson-Hamilton

Other names: 
Her maiden name was Hamilton
Dates: 
17 August 1853 - 22 May 1917

The daughter of James Campbell Hamilton of Dalserf and Mary Rorison, Mary Campbell Hamilton inherited the Dalserf Estate on the death of her brother in 1880. In 1881 she married the Rev Charles Greenhill Henderson, and the couple combined their surnames, becoming Henderson-Hamilton.

The couple had two sons, Charles (b 1882) and James (b 1884). Both sons died in the First World War, Charles at Gallipoli on 21 August 1915 and James five weeks later, on 27 August 1915 at Loos. The shock of losing both sons affected Mary Campbell Henderson-Hamilton's health, and she died 22 May 1917.

Sources
Hands Across the Sea by Diana O'Niell
pp 157-169. Privately Published Houston, Texas, 2002.

Stained glass window - Mary Campbell Henderson-Hamilton

Inscription: 

In Memory of Mary Campbell Henderson-Hamilton of Dalserf
Born 17 August 1853
Died 22 May 1917

Erected by: 
Rev Charles Greenhill Henderson-Hamilton
Date: 
Between 1917-1921
Material: 
Stained glass
Location:
St Mary's Episcopal Church
4 Auchingramont Rd
Hamilton, ML3 6JT
Additional information: 

The stained glass window is flanked by windows in memory of her two sons.

Stained glass window - Janet Murray

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

In memory of Janet Murray 1899-2007
and her son John Murray 1929-2007

Material: 
Stained glass
Location:
Rorison Memorial church
Ashgillhead Road
Ashgill, ML9 3AE

Janet Clark Murray

Other names: 
Her maiden name was Ritchie
Dates: 
14 March 1899-4 January 2007

The youngest of six children of Laurence Ritchie and Mary McDonald, Janet Ritchie was born in Dalserf. She married John Murray in April 1928.

Sources
Hands Across the Sea by Diana O'Niell
Privately Published Houston, Texas, 2002.

Plaque to Nan Shepherd

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

NAN SHEPHERD
1893-1981
Novelist, poet, educator
and author of
"The Living Mountain"
lived here at
Dunvegan
all her life

Erected by: 
Cults Community Council / Aberdeen Women's Alliance
Date: 
2017
Location:
"Dunvegan"
503 North Deeside Road, Cults
Aberdeen , AB15 9ES
Images: 
Plaque to Nan Shepherd
Plaque to Nan Shepherd

Stained glass window to Isabella Swanson

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

Erected by the Rev. J.A. Johnston
In memory of Isabella Swanson
his wife, died 15th January 1891

Erected by: 
Rev. John Archibald Swanson
Date: 
1898
Material: 
Stained glass
Location:
Dryfesdale church
High Street
Lockerbie, DG11 2AA
Images: 
Stained glass window - Isabella Swanson
Stained glass window - Isabella Swanson

Isabella Swanson

Other names: 
Her married surname was Johnston
Dates: 
Approx 1846 -15 January 1891

The youngest child of William Swanson and Janet Brown, she was born and grew up in Edinburgh. She married John Archibald Swanson on 16 August 1882.

Sources
Marriage certificate 1882 685 / 2 260

Agnes Anderson

Other names: 
Her married surname was Johnston
Dates: 
21 Dec 1855 - 14 June 1920

Agnes Anderson was the second child and eldest daughter of Robert Anderson, General Merchant, and Janet McKenzie. She married the Rev. John Archibald Johnston, minister of Dryfesdale Church on 29 March 1899. She was his second wife, his first wife, Isabella, having died in 1891.
Her husband retired in 1913. On his retirement he paid off the church's debts. The grateful congregation gave Mrs Johnston a "handsome silver chateleine"

Sources
Marriage certificate 1899 646 3 111
Death certificate 1920 685 2 195

Memorial to Agnes Anderson

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

To the beloved memory of Agnes Anderson, wife of Rev. J.A. Johnston.
Died 14 June 1920
This memorial from a grateful people MCMXXII

Erected by: 
The congregation.
Date: 
1922
Material: 
Wood and bronze
Location:
Dryfesdale church
High Street
Lockerbie., DG11 2AA
Images: 
Plaque to Agnes Anderson
Additional information: 

The memorial was "a token of the gratitude to God of the congregation for the life and labours of His servant." - Southern Reporter 7 Sept 1922, page 6.

Lady James Hay's Well

Dedicated to: 
Inscription: 

Lady James Hay's Well
1861

Date: 
1861
Material: 
Stone
Location:
Seaton Park
Don Street
Aberdeen , AB24 1XS
Images: 
Lady James Hay's Well